Recipe: Green Monster Smoothie
Today’s recipe is in response to a post over at Stellar Fashion & Fitness, in which Jen asked for tips to incorporate vegetables into her breakfast. Earlier this year, my friend Kristy turned me on to the Green Monster Smoothie, which has become one of my go-to breakfasts! I personally love fresh spinach, but if the idea of spinach for breakfast turns you off, fear not; the banana and almond butter really mask the taste of the spinach. Unlike a lot of other “quick” breakfast foods like cereal or toast, this smoothie actually keeps me full for quite a long time. This smoothie is a nutritional powerhouse, containing loads of vitamins, fiber, calcium, and protein.
How do you incorporate more fruits and vegetables into your breakfasts?
- 3/4 cup skim milk
- 1 cup fresh baby spinach
- 1 ripe banana
- 1 tablespoon almond butter
- 1/2 tablespoon chia seeds
- crushed ice
- Place all ingredients in a blender.
- Blend until smooth. That’s it!
*This is the basic recipe, but it can be easily adapted to suit your tastes or needs with the following:
- Almond Milk: vegan alternative
- Yogurt: creamier and more filling
- Honey: a touch of sweetness
- Vanilla: a nice aroma and flavor
- Blueberries: antioxidants, and helps mask the spinach
- Flax seeds: omega-3 fatty acids
- Protein powder: more protein, of course!