Recipe: Hearty Kale Soup
The cold weather continues here in the mid-Atlantic. I tend to get a bit weary of the snow and chilly temperatures by February, which is about the same time I start dreaming of tropical vacations! Since a holiday is not in the cards for me right now, I needed another way to warm up. This kale soup does the trick!
In addition to being a hearty dish, this soup is also packed with lots of kale, the super food du jour. Kale has loads of health benefits; it’s high in beta carotene, vitamin K, vitamin C, and calcium, and has anti -cancer properties as well. Delicious AND healthy… I’m all about multitasking!
TIP: If you’ve never cooked with kale before, don’t be deterred! First, rinse the kale in cold water to wash the leaves. In order to de-vein the kale, fold in half lengthwise, and simply run the edge of your knife against the vein; discard. Next, loosely roll the leaf, and make thin cuts. This will result in thin ribbons of kale. Congrats; you’ve just learned how to chiffonade!
Hearty Kale Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 8 cloves of garlic, minced
- 4 cups of kale, de-veined and chopped
- 4 cups low-sodium broth
- 2 15oz cans of cannellini beans
- 4 plum tomatoes, chopped
- salt and pepper
- chili flakes
- Cheese, for topping
- Heat olive oil in a large pot.
- Saute onion until translucent.
- Add garlic and continue to sauté until fragrant.
- Add kale, and turn mixture frequently. It may seem like a mountain of kale, but it cooks down rather quickly!
- Add 3 cups of broth (I used vegetable because that’s what we had on hand), 1 can of beans, and tomato.
- In a blender, mix the remaining 1 cup of broth and the other can of beans. Stir mixture into soup. This gives the soup a hearty thickness .
- Add salt, pepper, and chili flakes (you know I love chili flakes!) to taste.
- Simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Serve in bowls, topped with cheese. I used pepper jack to kick it up a notch, but you could also go the traditional route and use parmesan!
Yield: 6 servings.